Glacier Experience Course
The Glacier Experience Course is Alpine Guides' Easter holiday training program. The 5 day mountaineering trip provides an in-depth introduction to glacier travel, route-finding, and crevasse rescue techniques - finishing with a peak.
An Introduction to Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue
The Glacier Experience Course provides an intense introduction (or refresher) for climbers venturing into serious glaciated alpine terrain.
You need a good level of fitness, and some experience with rope management - either through rock climbing, abseiling, caving, or canyoning - as some of the rope systems are complex. Participants should also have basic crampon and ice axe skills.
Glacier training and a peak to finish
The course is based from a hut at the head of the Tasman Glacier. New Zealand's longest glacier is the prefect training venue for practicing your skills, and bagging a peak to finish.
Although "climbing" is not the focus of the course, we won't turn down the opportunity to get up a peak or have a crack at ice climbing on the icefall seracs. The course will finish with a climb of Hochstetter Dome (2,827 metres).
The course cost includes flights in and out of the mountains.
The Glacier Experience Course is ideal for:
- Climbers requiring a refresher in modern glacier technique
- Alpinists who need training for glaciated terrain
- General mountaineering and alpine travel, anywhere in the world
Instruction topics include:
- Glacier travel and modern rope systems
- Crevasse rescue systems, including self rescue
- Route finding and safe travel
- Emergency shelters
- Mountain navigation, weather and forecasting
- Good level of fitness
- Basic rope skills (e.g. rock climbing, caving, abseiling)
- Previous basic crampon/ice axe experience
Trip Type: Summer Course
Length: 5 days
Max Guide/Participant Ratio: 1:4
- Maximum of 8 participants
- Minimum of 2 participants
Price NZ$2,550 per person
- Aircraft access and exit flights
- All meals and snacks
- Local accommodation
- Local transport
- Use of technical gear
- Alpine Guides Technical Manual ›
Summer 2015 Course Schedule
- Open - free to book.
- Limited - Please check before booking (may fill quickly).
- One only/2 only = one or 2 spaces remain. Phone us to secure your place.
- Closed - course no longer available.